Instructions on formatting a document with page numbers, headers and footers and table of contents.
The cover page has no header or footer.
The table of contents page has the page number "i" and a header with the report title
The body of the report has page numbers starting at 1. It
also has the title of the report in the heading and the filename and date in
The table of contents is automatically created.
1. First create your cover page and table of contents and write the body of your paper.
2. Then, view the document in normal layout. (View /
3. Replace the first two page breaks with section page breaks.
· Remove the page break between the cover page and table of contents. Do this by positioning your cursor after the page break and then back spacking.
· Insert a section break in its place. Do this by insert / break / section page break
· Repeat for the page break after the table of contents.
4. Break the connection between the three sections of the document.
· Put your cursor on the table of contents page. View Header/Footer to see the header, and then click footer to see the footer. Click the button that says "Same as Previous" when you hover. It should no longer say "same as previous" over the footer. Repeat this for the table of contents header.
· Repeat this for the first footer in the body section (the first page after the table of contents).
5. Insert a page number with table of contents formatting at the bottom of the table of contents page.
· Put your cursor in the table of contents page and press view / header footer / and then choose footer.
· Insert / page number / format / change the type of number to "i ii iii" and change to start at 1.
· Switch back to the header and type in the name of your report so it will print on all pages.
6. Insert a page number with normal formatting at the bottom of the first real page.
7. Check that the page headers and footers are correct.
8. Mark the table of contents entries.
9. Create the table of contents.