Arithmos VI - Archimedes
- From: Saturday, July 27, 2002, 2:00 pm
- To: Sunday, July 28, 2002, 12:00 noon.
- Location: Western Connceticut State University
- Contact: Ed Sandifer,
- Reading List:
Sources for these reading:
From Sphere and Cylinder I: Greetings and Assumptions.
C 133-134, H 1-4, D 141-149.
Measurement of the Circle: Propositions 1-3.
C 137-141, H 91-98 + lots in the introduction, D 222-240.
Quadrature of the Parabola: Introduction and Propositions 17-24.
C 141-145, H 233-235 and 246-252, D 336-345.
Fourth and most importantly:
H 13-51 in the second pagination, D 313-336.
- Ronald Calinger, Classics of Mathematics, Prentice-Hall,
- T. L. Heath, The Works of Archimedes, Dover, n.d. The First
edition was 1897 and this was supplemented in 1912 with The
Method of Archimedes.
- E. J. Dijksterhuis, Archimedes translated by C. Dikshoorn with a new
bibliographic essay by Wilbur R. Knorr, 1987. The first edition was 1956.
- Saturday, 12:00, optional lunch for early arrivers
- Saturday, 2:00 pm, afteroon session begins
- Saturday, 6:30 pm, dinner
- Sunday, early, optional fun run.
- Sunday, 9:00 am, morning session begins
- Sunday, 12:00 noon, lunch and farewells
Last modified: July 12, 2002.
Rob Bradley /