Arithmos LVII - Newton's Method of Fluxions: Curvature & Mechanical Curves
- From: Saturday, October 28, 2017, 2:00 pm
- To: Sunday, October 29, 12:30.
- Location: Danbury, CT
Western Connecticut State University
Higgins Hall 206
- Contact: Chuck Rocca,
- We will continue reading Newton's The Method of Fluxions and Infinite Series in the 1736 English translation by John Colson.
It's widely available on the internet, e.g.
This is what we read:
- Curvature: Problem V through Article 46 (p. 59-68)
- Problem I, Articles 10-12 (p. 23-24)
- Mechanical Curves: Problem IV, Articles 13-28 (p. 49-51)
- Polar and Quadratic Coordinates: Problem IV, Articles 49-58 (p. 56-58)
- Curvature of Sprials: Problem V, Articles 47-53 (p. 68-70)
- Oscualting Circle: Problem V, Article 54 (p. 70)
- Saturday, 12:00, optional lunch for early arrivers
- Saturday, 2:00 pm, afternoon session begins
- Saturday, 6:30 pm, optional dinner
- Sunday, 9:00 am, morning session begins
- Sunday, 12:30, farewells and optional lunch
Last modified: August 24, 2017.
Rob Bradley /